Woodlawn Duckpin Bowling Center first opened on Platt Avenue in West Haven, Connecticut in the spring of 1954. It was one of the first duckpin lanes in America to open its doors, with 12 Sherman Automatic Pinsetter bowling machine and lanes. This was the time of the famous White City of Savin Rock and many families would include a stop at Woodlawn after riding the Roller Coaster or Flying Horses. New owner Bob Nugent purchased the lanes in May 2004 after a long career in the retail oil business. As a youngster Bob spent many afternoons at Woodlawn before moving out of town.
Bob enjoys talking with and meeting new people and loves children, therefore Bob felt Woodlawn is the right business venture. Bob immediately initiated a complete renovation of the well worn and much loved bowling center. Upgrading the facilities ( making them handicap accessible), rebuilding the snack bar, new flooring, lighting , paint and furniture, bringing a new spark to Woodlawn.